New communities find refuge in Australia after fleeing their country of origin due to war, persecution or poverty.
In this podcast Ellen chats with Nadine Hantke from Swinburne University about her experience of working with newly emerged communities and culturally diverse groups.
In this episode they discuss:
– How to learn about a person’s culture and background (01:46)
– Self-care and awareness of vicarious trauma (04:38)
– An empowerment perspective in practice (05:50)
– Working with refugees (07:35)
– Trauma awareness (09:15)
– Advice for working with people from culturally diverse communities (10:00)
– Boundaries and limitations (12:53)
Ellen, Trainer and Project Manager, ermha365
Nadine Hantke, Lead Teacher Certificate IV Mental Health, Swinburne University
This podcast series is part of the Developing the growing new NDIS (psychosocial disability) Workforce Project supported by the Victorian Government.